Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City
Please note, this event has expired.
The critically acclaimed exhibition will close on Feb. 18, 2018.
When Bob Dylan came to Nashville to make his classic album Blonde on Blonde, he brought unprecedented attention to the city’s ultra-talented musicians. Johnny Cash did the same with his network television show. This exhibit looks at the impact those events had on Music City and its Nashville Cats.
The exhibit, Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City, opens with a brief biographical section on Dylan’s career prior to his 1966 arrival in Nashville and on the events that drew him to Music City. The exhibit also looks at the subsequent albums Dylan recorded in Nashville—John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, and portions of Self Portrait.
The centerpiece of the exhibit is a series of 16 listening booths, each devoted to a Nashville Cat of the era—David Briggs, Kenny Buttrey, Fred Carter Jr., Charlie Daniels, Pete Drake, Mac Gayden, Lloyd Green, Ben Keith, Grady Martin, Charlie McCoy, Wayne Moss, Weldon Myrick, Norbert Putnam, Jerry Reed, Pig Robbins and Buddy Spicher. Each booth provides biographical information, archival photos and audio samples of the musicians’ signature licks on both rock and country recordings from the late 1960s and early ’70s.
The critically acclaimed exhibition will close on Feb. 18, 2018. To celebrate the exhibit’s three year run, the museum will present three weekends of special programs including appearances by Nashville Cats Mac Gayden on Feb. 11 and Norbert Putnam on Feb. 18.
Closing programs in support of Dylan, Cash and the Nashville Cats include:
Sunday, February 4
- 10:30am-11:45am Film Screening: Old Crow Medicine Show Plays Blonde on Blonde (2017)
- 1pm-2pm Musician Spotlight: Pete Finney – Pedal Steel
Saturday, February 10
- 10:30am-11:30am Family Program: Design an Album Cover – Nashville Cats Style
Sunday, February 11
- 1pm-2pm Musician Spotlight: Mac Gayden – Guitar
Sunday, February 18
- 10am-1pm Creative Zone: Embellished Instruments – Nashville Cats Style
- 10:30am-11:30am Film Screening: The Johnny Cash Show – New Nashville Sounds (1971)
- 1pm-2pm Musician Spotlight: Norbert Putnam – Bass
222 Fifth Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37203(Neighborhood: Downtown)
MORE FROM Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum
Jan 26, 2019
Feb 2, 2019