Please Note: This event has expired.
Our Friend, Jean
Our Friend, Jean
The Bishop Gallery has curated a 6-Stop HBCU Exhibition Tour showcasing 20+ artworks by Jean-Michel Basquiat. Each artwork is on loan from friends, lovers, and former collaborators of the renowned artist. Arriving on HBCU campuses for the first time ever, this tour aims to give the next generation of Black Artists and Creatives unprecedented access to America’s most influential artist, Jean-Michel Basquiat.
Tennessee State University will host Our Friend, Jean, from November 9th to November 16th, 2022, in the Hiram Van Gordon Gallery. A reception and conversation will take place on campus Thursday, November 10th, from 4PM-6PM. Photographer and Collector Alexis Adler, who also served as a co-curator with Erwin John and Stevenson Dunn, Jr. of The Bishop Gallery, will be on campus to share uniquely intimate stories of their friend Jean.
Our Friend, Jean is a sampling of Jean-Michel Basquiat’s earliest works on loan from several collectors featuring drawings, writings, apparel, mixed media collages, and ephemera. The group of collectors consists of Jane Diaz, Hilary Jaeger, Katie Taylor, Lucy Sante, Al Diaz, and photographer Alexis Adler. Hennessy and Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF), in collaboration with Brooklyn-Based, The Bishop Gallery and Group Black, the largest collective of Black-owned media, will bring the Our Friend, Jean Exhibition to six Historically Black Colleges and Universities nationwide. The HBCU campus tour of the exhibition includes Hampton University, Howard University, Clark Atlanta University, Tennessee State University, Dillard University, and Texas Southern University.
Source: TSU Department of Art Press Release
INDIVIDUAL DATES & TIMES*
Additional time info:
A reception and conversation will take place on campus Thursday, November 10th, from 4PM-6PM.
Please visit the website for directions and a parking pass at www.tnstate.edu/art/gallery.aspx.
3500 John Merritt Blvd, Elliott Hall, Room 118, Nashville, TN 37209
- The Hiram Van Gordon Gallery is located in Elliot Hall on Tennessee State University's main campus.
- Elliot Hall is on the backside of campus, from 28th Ave pass the front of campus, continue on 28th Ave North/Ed Temple Blvd.
- Turn Left on Dr. Walter S Davis Blvd.
- Turn Left on 39th Ave North.
- Turn Left at the stop sign on to John L. Driver
- Turn Left on 37th Ave North.
- The first building on your Right is Elliot Hall.
- Parking is right past the building, up the hill or to the left.
- Enter the building at the ramp and proceed to the Right down the hall to the Gallery and Space for New Media.