Space Science Summer Camp - Rising 5th-6th grades
Please note, this event has expired.
The focus of Vanderbilt Dyer Observatory’s camp is astronomy and space science. Campers learn how scientists discover the secrets of the universe, from exotic black holes to the nature of light.
The Dyer Observers Space Science Camp supports students who are serious about exploring the worlds of science, math, and technology, and opens up their minds to future career possibilities in these fields. Campers are inspired by interacting with astronomers who are respected researchers and seasoned instructors. Participation in group activities builds self-confidence, problem-solving ability, and social skills.
Sample past activities:
- Interact with cutting-edge research astronomers
- Learn how telescopes work, and build your own
- Safely view the dynamic surface of the Sun through a solar telescope and attend a nighttime telescope viewing
- Journey to the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL for a day-long adventure
- Learn about basic electronics, and use the knowledge to build working projects
- Construct a functioning model Hubble Space Telescope
- Make your own realistic models of comets, and learn how craters are formed
- Design and launch bottle rockets as an introduction to rocketry
2019 CAMP DATES:
July 8-12 9am-3pm for rising 5th and 6th graders
July 15-19 9am-3pm for rising 7th and 8th graders
The field trip day (Wednesday) to the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville will be longer.
LOCATION: Vanderbilt Dyer Observatory, 1000 Oman Drive, Brentwood TN. The Observatory is located off of Granny White Pike, approximately 1/3 mile north of Old Hickory Blvd. Note: we are NOT on the main Vanderbilt campus.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications may be picked up at the Dyer Observatory or downloaded from our website: https://dyer.vanderbilt.edu/entertainment/summer-camps/ You may also check to see if the camps are still accepting applications at this website.
Questions? Please email Dyer Observatory’s Camp Director, Dr. Billy Teets, at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (615) 373-4897 for more information.
1000 Oman Drive, Brentwood, TN 37027