Host GRIZ (left) and saxophone jams as James Casey urges him on at Superjam at Bonnaroo's This Tent June 15 in Manchester, Tenn.
Tyler Lamb | MTSU Seigenthaler News Service
American DJ and saxophonist Grant Richard Kwiecinski, better known by his stage name GRiZ, hosted and was joined by a number of special guests on stage as they celebrated musical greats during SuperJam.
The post-midnight show included performances by Deva Mahal, K.Flay, Nicholas Petricca (Walk the Moon), and many more. House band accompaniment included two additional saxophones, a trumpet, bass, drums, and background vocals provided by a host of other SuperJam performers.
This year’s theme: covers of popular songs from the past from acts many might say are G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time). These throwbacks included crowd favorites “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse, “1999″ by Prince, and “Respect,” made famous by Aretha Franklin.
As you would expect, the packed, colorfully lighted tent made for one big vibrant singalong.
Playing the part of a perfect host, GRiZ broke out his electric saxophone but only claimed the limelight a few times throughout the show. The 29-year-old from Michigan, who describes his sound as “future-funk” with a soulful touch, hugged each artist with open arms and a wide smile. as they left the stage.
GRiZ wasn’t the only one that whipped out the sax for a solo during the show, as James Casey (Trey Anastasio Band) wowed the crowd with his vocal range smooth skills on the sax.
One of the more recent songs performed was a tribute to the late rapper Mac Miller, who died in 2018. To honor him at Bonnaroo, they performed “Dang!”, Miller’s 2016 hit with Anderson .Paak.
Punctuating another successful SuperJam, fans were screaming out lyrics and jumping to the beat as the clock approached 3 a.m.
Deva Mahal rocks the This Tent during Superjam at Bonnaroo's This Tent June 15, 2019 in Manchester, Tenn.
Image 1 of 3
Photo Credit: Tyler Lamb | MTSU Seigenthaler News Service
The G.O.A.T. setlist included the following:
- “Miserlou” – Dick Dale
- “So What’Cha Want” – Beastie Boys
- “Right Place Wrong Time” – Dr John
- “Could You Be Loved” – Bob Marley
- * NAHKO (Medicine For The People) Nattali Rize
- “This Land Is Your Land” – Sharon Jones
- “Piece Of My Heart” – Janis Joplin
- “Valerie” – Amy Winehouse
- “Respect” – Aretha Franklin
- “1999” – Prince
- * K. Flay, Chrishira Perrier
- “Mary Jane” – Rick James
- “DANG!” – Mac Miller
- * PROBCAUSE, Chrishira Perrier
- “Grinding All My Love” – Nipsy Hussle
- “Lithium” – Nirvana
- “What I Got” – Sublime
- “Blackhole Sun” – Soundgarden
- “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” – The Beatles
- “Folsom Prison Blues” – Johnny Cash
- * HOBO JOHNSON, RKS BASS & DRUMS
- “Bring It On Home To Me” – Sam Cooke
- * SAM MELO (RKS), Jennifer Hartswick, Lindsay Ell
- “Wake Me Up” – Avicii
- * NOAH KAHAN, Music City Mystique Drumline
- “Drumline Interlude”
- * Music City Mystique Drumline
- “We Will Rock You” – Queen
- * Nicholas Petricca (Walk The Moon), Music City Mystique Drumline
- “Under Pressure” – Queen & David Bowie
- * Nicholas Petricca (Walk The Moon), KAL (Rubblebucket)
- “Let’s Dance” – David Bowie
- * Nicholas Petricca (Walk The Moon), BLACKSTAR BAND
- “Life On Mars?” – David Bowie
- * KAL (Rubblebucket), BLACKSTAR BAND
- “Freedom! ’90” – George Michael
- * Deva Mahal, MUZZY BEARR, Chrishira Perrier