There are no recent bookmarks.

Fort Pillow State Historic Park

Fort Pillow State Historic Park
    Email
/
    Website
/
    Facebook
/

   

  

Located on the western edge of Tennessee, approximately 40 miles north of Memphis, Fort Pillow State Historic Park is rich in historic and archaeological significance. Steep bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River made this area a strategic location during the Civil War. The fort was originally built by Confederate troops in 1861 and named after General Gideon J. Pillow of Maury County. It was abandoned in 1862 due to the Union Navy’s advancement along the Mississippi River. The area became a state park in 1971.

The 1,642 acre Fort Pillow is known for its well-preserved breastworks and reconstructed inner fort. The park’s museum offers Civil War artifacts including a canon and interpretive displays relating to the history of Fort Pillow. There is a 12 minute video on the 1864 Battle shown by request as well as tours of the museum and restored fortifications. The museum is open from 8am–4pm.

HOURS: All parks are open to the public seven days a week but the park office, museums, visitor centers and historic sites may be closed two days per week and their hours may vary. The hours for most parks are one half-hour before sunrise to one half-hour after sunset. Contact the individual park for more information at www.tnstateparks.com/find-a-park.

8am-4pm Museum (7 days a week) closed Thanksgiving, Chistmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Source: Tennessee State Parks