American Legion Post 34 - Waverly
Our Post was named after the first and last men from Waverly, Tennessee to die in WWI. Claude McDougle Hickman was killed on July 15, 1918. Joseph Hercules Patterson was killed on October 15, 1918. We have been in continuous operation at our present location since 1934, when the building was purchased from the Presbyterian Church, which moved across the street. When the church moved, its members took the steeple and stained glass windows with them, so we had to do some redecorating. The Post borrowed $1,000 with which they were able to convert the building into a meeting hall. Since that time, it has been known as the American Legion Hall. The Hall has been used for a variety of things since then (besides Post meetings), such as: funerals, marriages, a courtroom when the courthouse burned down, a school, a barracks for flood refugees, and a Civic Center for the Town of Waverly and Humphreys County.
Source: Venue website