There are no recent bookmarks.

John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge

John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge
    Website
/

   

The John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge, formerly the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was named after the legendary editor and publisher of The Tennessean and dedicated in ceremonies on April 29, 2014. It connects downtown Nashville to the residential suburbs of East Nashville and was built from 1907-09. It was originally named the Sparkman Street Bridge. The county employed Howard M. Jones, Chief Office Engineer of the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway, to design and supervise the construction. Jones worked with local contractor Foster and Creighton Company and Gould Contracting Company of Louisville. The bridge contains 48 spans including four steel trusses and two reinforced concrete trusses. Spans over the old Tennessee Central Railroad tracks (now CSX) are the only concrete trusses identified in Tennessee. The bridge was closed to automobile traffic in 1998 and has been restored for pedestrian use, providing outstanding views of the river and downtown skyline. Seigenthaler died on July 11, 2014 at age 86.

Source: Nashville Downtown Partnership

LOCATION

John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge

4th Avenue South and McGavock Street, Nashville, TN 37203

ALBUQUERQUE LITTLE THEATRE

  • ico-y-knife.pngCheese Coffee Caf Downtown
  • ico-y-knife.pngLiu Chinese Fast Food
  • ico-y-knife.pngVinaigrette
  • ico-y-knife.pngGarcias Kitchen The Original
  • ico-y-knife.pngRoute 66 Malt Shop
  • ico-y-knife.pngBottger Mansion of Old Town
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngBottger Mansion of Old Town
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngLiu Chinese Fast Food
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngBottger Mansion of Old Town
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngLiu Chinese
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngVinaigrette